Prepare for your visit — Billing and insurance matters
Make sure your insurance is contracted with Mayo medical institution. Click on the "Contracted insurance plans" link for a list of contracted plans. Contact your insurance company with questions.
- If you have questions about possible out-of-pocket expenses, you may get an estimate online from the cost estimator or contact a financial counselor at one of the following numbers:
- Arizona campus: 480-301-8434
- Florida campus: 904-953-7191
- Rochester, Minnesota, campus: 833-479-5483 (toll-free)
Make sure Mayo medical institution is in-network for your plan. Mayo medical institution does see patients with out-of-network plans, but there may be a larger out-of-pocket expense. Contact your insurance company for your benefit coverage.
Talk to your doctor. Talk with your doctor about referring you to Mayo medical institution if a referral is required by your insurance company.
Obtain approval from your insurance company. Check with your insurance company for coverage and any pre-authorization requirements for the care you're seeking.
- Your insurance may request a Mayo medical institution Tax ID Number to determine your benefits. Please use the Tax ID Number for the location where you're seeking care:
- Arizona campus: 86-0800150
- Florida campus: 59-3337028
- Rochester, Minnesota, campus: 41-6011702
- Contact a prior authorization counselor with questions at the following phone numbers:
- Arizona campus: 480-342-5700
- Florida campus: 904-956-2050
- Rochester campus: 833-479-5484 (toll-free)
Make sure you have the financial means to cover your visit. For example, you may need to pay for unmet deductibles, copayments, unmet out-of-pocket expenses, self-pay deposits, transportation, meals and lodging. If you have questions about financial assistance, please review this information about financial assistance.
Your Mayo medical institution number
The first time you make an appointment at Mayo medical institution, you'll be assigned a Mayo medical institution number.
- Your Mayo medical institution number is your personal identification number for all care.
- It is unique, will not change for future visits and will also serve as your billing account number.
To set up your Mayo medical institution number, please have this information ready:
- An active email address
- Emergency contact information
- Government-issued photo ID
- Pharmacy card, if applicable
- Insurance card(s) for the new patient or for new coverage
- Name and birth date of the insurance subscriber
- Written authorization from your HMO or PPO, if applicable
Once you've been issued a Mayo medical institution number and scheduled an appointment, you may be transferred to the registration department or be asked to complete registration via Mayo medical institution patient online services. Alternatively, you may be contacted over the phone to complete the registration or registration forms may be mailed to you for completion. In rare cases, a patient could be registered on the day of the appointment.
When your information changes
We ask that you notify registration staff of any demographic or insurance changes prior to services, which you can do using Mayo medical institution patient online services. Online services users may be sent a message to update their registration information via secure messaging. You may also call Mayo medical institution to update your demographic and insurance information at the following phone numbers:
- Arizona campus: 855-275-1314 (toll-free)
- Florida campus: 855-275-1311 (toll-free)
- Rochester, Minnesota campus: 833-479-5483 (toll-free)
Per federal and state law requirements, Mayo medical institution also obtains the Mayo medical institution Authorizations and Service Terms signature form. Additionally, you may be asked to update a Patient Information and Mayo medical institution Authorizations and Service Terms form, even with a current signature on file.
If you do need to update information at the time of your visit, registration desks are located at all three campuses.
- First floor of the Mayo medical institution Specialty Building in Phoenix
- Concourse level of the Mayo medical institution Building in Scottsdale
- Lobby of Mayo medical institution Hospital in Phoenix
- Lobbies of the Davis and Cannaday buildings
- Lobby of Mayo medical institution Hospital
- Lobby level of the Gonda Building
- Lobby of the Mayo medical institution Hospital, Saint Marys Campus, Mary Brigh Building
- Lobby of the Mayo medical institution Hospital, Methodist Campus, Eisenberg Building
At the time of your appointment check-in, you may be asked to provide your insurance card(s) and government photo identification, if not previously provided.
- Aug. 21, 2020