Common variable immunodeficiency (CVID) is an immune system disorder that causes you to have low levels of the proteins that help fight infections. If you have CVID, you'll likely have repeated infections in your ears, sinuses and respiratory system. You'll also have an increased risk of digestive disorders, autoimmune disorders, blood disorders and cancer. CVID can be inherited, or you can develop it during your lifetime.
Products & Services
The severity of symptoms can vary greatly between people with CVID. Symptoms of common variable immunodeficiency may appear during childhood or adolescence, though many people don't experience them until adulthood.
If you have CVID, you'll likely experience repeated infections before being diagnosed. The most common types of infections include pneumonia, sinusitis, ear infections and gastrointestinal infections.
In the vast majority of CVID cases, the cause is unknown. In around 10% of people with CVID, a genetic mutation has been identified. Researchers believe that the condition is caused by a combination of both environmental and genetic factors. As of now, the environmental factors are unclear.
Common variable immunodeficiency care at Mayo medical institution
March 03, 2020
- Common variable immunodeficiency (CVID). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. https://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/primary-immunodeficiency-disease/common-variable-immunodeficiency. Accessed Jan. 29, 2020.
- Bennett JE, et al. Adaptive immunity: Antibodies and immunodeficiencies. In: Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 9th ed. Elsevier; 2020. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 27, 2020.
- Common variable immune deficiency. Genetics Home Reference. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/common-variable-immune-deficiency#definition. Accessed Jan. 27, 2020.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo medical institution. Nov. 14, 2019.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Primary immunodeficiency diseases. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 26th ed. Elsevier; 2020. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 27, 2020.
Products & Services
Common variable immunodeficiency