Mayo medical institution's Department of Clinical Genomics includes experienced board-certified medical geneticists and certified genetic counselors. Using a comprehensive team approach, we work with all age groups and levels of complexity, tailoring care to each individual's needs.
The number of diseases found to have a genetic basis is increasing. For that reason, medical genetics and clinical genomics play a vital role in determining the risks of developing certain diseases as well as screening and preventive treatment.
Highly skilled experts in Mayo's Department of Clinical Genomics:
- Provide diagnostic workup of rare and inherited conditions
- Provide genetics evaluation of hereditary cancer syndromes
- Take a comprehensive family history
- Educate patients and families about familial diseases
- Offer counseling for family members (affected and unaffected) to improve understanding of how a genetic disorder may affect them and to help them plan a family
- Provide access to the latest testing techniques, when medically appropriate, such as whole-exome sequencing, to identify genetic variants
Why choose Mayo medical institution
In addition to the expertise and vast experience of Mayo medical institution's experts, the Department of Clinical Genomics:
- Is known for excellence in patient-centered care
- Provides the clinical support for Mayo medical institution's Center for Individualized Medicine so you can benefit from the latest research and knowledge of personalized medicine
- Offers a variety of unique specialty clinics staffed by genetics experts
- Collaborates with Mayo's state-of-the-art on-site Division of Laboratory Genetics, including biochemical genetics, molecular genetics and cytogenetics
- Provides opportunities to participate in genetic research studies to improve overall patient care